Are you looking for the best credit card to use in the Philippines? With so many options available, it can be difficult to know which one is right for you. In this blog post, we’ll provide an overview of the factors to consider. When choosing a credit card in the Philippines, discuss different types of credit cards available. And recommend some top credit cards based on financial experts’ opinions. We will also explain what a credit card is and its features and benefits. Why it is important to have one, and how to get approved for a credit card in the Philippines.
And finally introduce our picks for the best credit cards in the country. Having a credit card with careful planning and management can help improve your financial situation while providing convenience for everyday purchases.
Factors to consider when choosing a credit card in the Philippines
When choosing a credit card in the Philippines, it is important to consider the credit limit and interest rate offered. A higher credit limit allows you to make larger purchases without tapping into your own funds. While lower interest rates will help save on finance charges over the long term. It is also important to consider any annual or other fees associated with the card before signing up for it.
Rewards and promo offerings
It is also important to look at rewards and promotional offers when choosing a credit card in the Philippines. Some cards offer cashback rewards on certain types of spending, while others may offer points or airline miles which can be redeemed for travel-related benefits or discounts on future purchases.
Additionally, some cards may have special promotions such as free hotel stays or discounted merchandise that are only available for a limited time. Be sure to research all available options before making a final decision about which credit card is right for you.
Different types of credit cards available in the Philippines
Cashback credit cards provide rewards to users for purchases made using the card. These rewards, typically in the form of cash. Can be accumulated over time and used for future purchases or balance payments. Cashback credit cards are ideal for people who want to save on everyday purchases such as groceries and fuel.
Examples of popular cashback credit cards in the Philippines include the BPI eCredit Card, EastWest Platinum MasterCard, Security Bank Next Mastercard, BPI Amore Cashback Card, UnionBank Gold Mastercard and American Express® Gold Credit Card.
Travel rewards credit cards
Travel rewards credit cards offer users points that can be redeemed for various perks such as airline miles, hotel stays or even car rentals. These types of cards are great for frequent travelers who want to save money when booking flights or hotels. Popular travel reward credit cards in the Philippines include the Citi Cash Back Card, Security Bank Gold Mastercard, BPI Blue Mastercard and AUB Easy MasterCard which all offer generous rewards programs with low annual fees attached to them.
The HSBC Red Mastercard Credit Card is also a good option if you’re looking for more flexibility when it comes to redeeming your points as it offers a wide range of redemption options including shopping vouchers and gift certificates from partner establishments.
Top credit cards recommended by financial experts in the Philippines
The BDO Visa Platinum credit card is one of the most popular and highly recommended cards by financial experts in the Philippines. It offers a wide range of features, including an unlimited cashback reward program, low annual fee, low interest rate on purchases. And exclusive discounts at partner merchants. Additionally, it comes with a high credit limit and has no annual income requirement.
The Citibank PremierMiles credit card is another great option for Filipinos looking to find the best card in the Philippines. This card offers an impressive rewards program that can be used to redeem flights or even hotel stays around the world. In addition to its rewards program, this card also provides a complimentary travel insurance policy. And free access to airport lounges worldwide. Furthermore, users are able to enjoy up to 50% cashback on their purchases at select merchant locations across the country when they use their Citibank Premier Miles credit cards.
Security Bank Gold Mastercard
The Security Bank Gold Mastercard is one of the top-recommended cards by financial experts in the Philippines due to its comprehensive features and benefits package. For starters, this card offers a generous cashback reward system. Which can be used towards purchases made at more than 100 participating outlets nationwide such as department stores and gas stations.
Moreover, it also provides complimentary travel insurance coverage for up to P5 million per year as well as discounts on dining establishments when you pay with your card abroad or locally within selected cities in Metro Manila and other provinces across the country.
Lastly, this card also comes with a zero annual fee for all eligible applicants. Who have maintained good credit standing over time since issuance date of their cards.
BPI Blue Mastercard
The BPI Blue Mastercard is another great option for Filipinos looking to find the best card in the Philippines. It offers a host of features and benefits, including an unlimited cashback rewards program, low annual fee, discounts on select merchants both locally and abroad, complimentary travel insurance coverage of up to P1 million per year, and free access to airport lounges worldwide when you use your card for purchases abroad or at local establishments within selected cities in Metro Manila.
Furthermore, this card also comes with a generous credit limit which can help you make more purchases without worrying about going over your spending limits.
What is credit card?
A credit card is a payment card that is issued by financial institutions. And allows the cardholder to borrow funds from the issuer. Credit cards can be used to purchase goods and services, pay bills, withdraw cash at ATMs, or transfer balances from one account to another.
Types of Credit cards:
- Revolving credit cards: These allow you to make purchases up to a certain limit and repay them over time with interest payments. The interest rate varies depending on the type of revolving credit card you choose.
- Charge cards: These require that you pay off your balance in full each month. Most charge cards offer rewards points or cash back for making purchases with them.
- Prepaid credit cards: These are not linked to any bank account and instead come pre-loaded with a fixed amount of money that can be used for purchases or withdrawals from ATMs.
Credit Card vs Debit Card
Debit cards act like electronic checks in that they draw directly from your checking account when making a purchase or paying a bill online.Unlike credit cards, debit cards allow you to borrow funds. And all transactions must be approved by your bank before. Furthermore, debit card transactions do not include interest charges like those associated with using a credit card.
Credit card features and benefits?
Cashback Rewards: Many credit cards offer cashback rewards, allowing consumers to earn a percentage of the value they spend on their card back in the form of cash or points. The amount of cashback varies depending on the brand and type of card, but it is typically between 1-3%. Some cards also offer additional benefits such as discounts or free shipping when making certain purchases with their card.
Points System: Some credit cards feature a points system that allows customers to accumulate points over time which can then be used for discounts, travel rewards, and other perks. Depending on the specific program, customers may be able to redeem their accumulated points for merchandise, gift certificates, airline tickets, hotel stays, and more.
Signup Bonus: Most credit cards offer signup bonuses for new customers who open an account with them. These bonuses usually involve getting extra points upon signing up or a percentage off your first purchase with the respective company’s card (such as 10% off at Macy’s).
Low Interest Rates: Most credit cards have low interest rates compared to other types of loans available from banks and other financial institutions. This means that you will pay less money in interest payments by using a credit card instead of taking out another type of loan such as an auto loan or personal loan.
Additionally, some cards come with an introductory APR period during which you won’t have to pay any interest at all; this can help make it easier for consumers to manage their finances while still enjoying access to revolving credit lines if needed in times of financial hardship.
Why credit card is important
Improving Credit Score
Credit cards are an important factor in determining your credit score, which is used to determine whether you will be approved for loans and other forms of credit. Therefore, it’s essential to have a good credit card and use it responsibly. Paying off your balance in full each month on time can improve your credit score over time and make it easier to obtain more favorable terms when taking out a loan or applying for other forms of credit.
Ability to Make Large Purchases
Another advantage of having a credit card is that it gives you the ability to make large purchases without having all the money upfront. This can be especially useful if you need to make a large purchase but don’t have the cash available at the moment. Having access to a line of credit can help bridge this gap until you are able to pay off the balance in full later on down the road.
Access To Special Deals & Discounts
Many banks offer special deals and discounts for their customers who use their credit cards for certain types of purchases, such as travel or entertainment expenses. Not only does this provide additional savings over paying with cash or debit, but it also provides access to exclusive perks that are not available with other payment methods such as priority boarding on flights or early access tickets for concerts and events.
Convenience & Security
Finally, using a credit card provides convenience and security when making online purchases or traveling abroad since most merchants accept them as payment options while debit cards may not be accepted everywhere due to fraud concerns from banks and merchants alike. Additionally, many banks offer fraud protection services so if there ever was any unauthorized activity on your account you would be able too easily dispute any charges made without worry about losing money in the process.
How to Get Approved for a Credit Card in the Philippines
Prepare Required Documents
Before applying for a credit card in the Philippines. It is important to prepare all required documents such as valid government-issued ID (i.e. driver’s license, passport), proof of billing address (i.e. utility bills), and proof of income or employment (i.e. payslips from employers). These are essential documents needed by credit card companies to assess an individual’s creditworthiness and eligibility for their products and services.
Apply Online or In Person
Once you have gathered all the necessary requirements, you can apply online at any major bank website offering credit cards in the Philippines or physically go to a branch of the bank where you may be asked questions regarding your financial background and other personal information before they approve your application form.
Check Your Credit Score
It is also important that you check your own credit score prior to submitting an application so that you will know whether or not you are eligible for certain cards depending on its requirements based on applicant’s credit history and score obtained from trusted sources like CIBI Information Inc., TUCP Trust Corporation, etc..
Consider Other Factors
Aside from checking if your credit score qualifies for a certain type of card, there are also other factors that should be taken into consideration when deciding which one is best suited for every individual such as fees & charges applicable on each product, rewards/promo offerings given by each issuer, annual percentage rate (APR) applicable to balance transfers & cash advances among others which can help maximize one’s benefit when using his/her preferred card over time.
Best credit card in the Philippines
When looking for the best credit card in the Philippines, there are a few factors that should be considered:
- Credit limit and interest rates: An important factor to consider when choosing a credit card is what kind of credit limit it offers and what its interest rate is. The higher your credit limit, the more you have access to funds in case of an emergency. Additionally, lower interest rates mean more savings on your end if you carry a balance from month to month.
- Rewards and promo offerings: Many cards offer rewards or promotional offers that can help save money or make spending easier. Look out for special discounts, bonus points, cashback offers, and other perks when selecting a card.
- Types of cards available: There are different types of cards available such as cashback cards, travel rewards cards, etc., which may better suit your lifestyle or financial needs. Research each type thoroughly before making a decision so you know exactly what you’re getting into with each option.
Read more: Best Savings Account in the Philippines
Top Recommended Credit Cards by Financial Experts in The Philippines
Financial experts recommend several different options for those looking for the best credit card in the Philippines. Each has its own features and benefits. Research them thoroughly before deciding which is best suited for your needs to get maximum value from your choice.
1. Citi Cash Back Card
The Citi Cash Back card is one of the most popular credit cards in the Philippines, offering cashback rewards on all purchases made with the card. It also offers a range of other benefits such as an annual fee waiver and 0% introductory APR for 12 months (applicable to balance transfers). The main features of this credit card include:
- No annual fee
- Earn 1% cash back on all eligible purchases
- 0% introductory APR on balance transfers for 12 months
- 20 days interest-free period
- Enjoy discounts and rebates at participating merchants
- 24/7 customer service support
Reward Program & Benefits
With the Citi Cash Back Credit Card, customers can earn up to 8% cashback when they shop at selected merchant outlets. Additionally, customers can enjoy additional savings from special discounts and rebates from select merchants. This card also offers exclusive access to special events, privileges, and rewards programs offered by Citibank. Furthermore, customers can avail themselves of 24/7 customer service support whenever they need help with their accounts or transactions.
Fees & Interest Rates
The Citi Cash Back Credit Card has no annual fee but does have an interest rate of 3.50%. Customers who make late payments may be charged a penalty fee of P500 or 5% of their outstanding balance (whichever is higher). Balance transfer requests are subject to a processing fee equivalent to 2% of the total amount transferred plus P300 per transaction. Finally, foreign currency conversion fees may apply if customers use their cards abroad or make overseas purchases in foreign currencies.
2. Security Bank Gold Mastercard
Security Bank Gold Mastercard is a credit card offered by Security Bank that provides users with access to exclusive rewards, discounts, and services. The card allows customers to earn rewards points for purchases made with the card, which can be redeemed for air miles or other rewards. It also offers 0% interest on balance transfers and cash advances up to 6 months, plus an optional overdraft feature that can help manage your finances more effectively.
The Security Bank Gold Mastercard has a number of key benefits:
- 0% interest on balance transfers and cash advance transactions up to 6 months;
- A range of attractive reward offerings such as air miles, shopping vouchers and more;
- A complimentary insurance package that covers medical expenses due to accidents;
- An optional overdraft feature available upon request;
- Access to exclusive discounts at select stores in the Philippines;
- 24/7 customer service and round-the-clock fraud protection.
Fees & Interest Rates
The Security Bank Gold Mastercard comes with an annual fee of PHP 3,000 per annum (waived for the first year). The APR for this credit card is 2.7%, depending on your credit score and market conditions at the time of application. Balance transfer fees are set at 5%. Foreign transaction fees are also applicable when making international purchases with this card (3%).
3. BPI Blue Mastercard
The BPI Blue Mastercard is an excellent choice for those who are looking for a credit card with extensive rewards and low-interest rates. This card has no annual fee, offers up to 3% cashback on groceries, gas, and online shopping, and comes with a 24/7 customer service line to assist you with any inquiries or concerns that you may have.
Rewards & Benefits
With the BPI Blue Mastercard, users can enjoy up to 3% cashback on groceries, gas and online shopping purchases every month. The cashback rate increases for larger purchases – 1% when spending less than P3,000 per month; 2% when spending between P3,000 – P6,000; and 3% from P6,001 onwards. There is also an additional 0.5% cash back bonus rate for all other purchases outside those three categories each month. In addition to this generous reward system the card also comes with complimentary travel insurance of up to Php 500K should anything happen during your travels abroad as well as access to exclusive dining privileges in select establishments across the country through its partnership with Dining Delight program.
Interest Rates & Fees
The interest rate of the BPI Blue Mastercard is one of the lowest available in the market at only 4%. There is also no annual fee attached which makes it one of the most cost-efficient cards available today in Philippines. Furthermore there is a zero liability policy included which means that customers will not be held liable if their account details are stolen or misused by someone else without their knowledge or consent.. Lastly there is a 12 months installment plan option for large purchases so users can pay off their purchase over time without being charged additional interest fees beyond what would normally be applied on revolving credit accounts like credit cards.
How to Apply for the BPI Blue Mastercard
Applying for the BPI Blue Mastercard is easy and fast – all you need to do is fill out an online application form with your personal details, submits a valid ID such as a driver’s license or passport, and provide proof of income such as payslips or bank statements. Once approved, you can use your card immediately and enjoy its rewards and benefits immediately.
4. AUB Easy MasterCard
The AUB Easy Mastercard is one of the most popular credit cards in the Philippines, thanks to its generous rewards and promo offerings. The card offers a wide range of benefits, including cashback rewards, and discounts on shopping. And dining, access to airport lounges around the world, and more. With this card, you can enjoy up to 5% cashback on groceries and a 10% discount at select merchants. Additionally, customers will receive complimentary travel insurance coverage of up to PHP 500K for international trips booked with the card.
Benefits & Features
AUB Easy MasterCard features some great benefits that make it an attractive option for budget-minded consumers looking for quality credit cards in the Philippines:
- No annual fee – This is one of the few credit cards in the Philippines that doesn’t have an annual fee so it’s easy on your wallet!
- 0% interest rate on purchases – You won’t pay any extra interest when buying goods or services with this card as long as you pay your balance in full each month.
- Cashback rewards – Earn 5% cashback on all grocery purchases made with your AUB Easy Mastercard! Additionally, you’ll get 10% off selected merchants when paying with this card too!
- Complimentary travel insurance coverage – Get free travel insurance coverage worth up to PHP 500K when booking international trips using your AUB Card!
Eligibility Requirements & Fees
In order to apply for an AUB Easy Mastercard, you must be at least 18 years old and have a valid Philippine passport or ID issued by a government agency such as SSS or PhilHealth. Your monthly income should also be at least PHP 35K per month. If self-employed or employed by another company/institution. If employed by AUB itself then no minimum income is required. There are no set fees associated with this particular credit card aside from any applicable late payment fees which might be imposed depending on how late payments are handled by your bank/credit provider.
5. HSBC Red Mastercard Credit Card
The HSBC Red Mastercard Credit Card is a rewards-based credit card offered by HSBC Philippines. It features a wide range of benefits, including cashback rewards, discounts on purchases, and travel insurance coverage. The card also offers up to 3% cashback on select categories and 0.3% cashback on all other purchases.
The key features of the HSBC Red Mastercard Credit Card include:
- A minimum credit limit of PHP 5,000 for new customers
- Interest rate of 2.99% per month
- Up to 3% cashback rewards on select categories such as groceries, dining and entertainment, digital payments, and online shopping
- 0.3% cashback rewards on all other purchases
- Cash advance facility with no interest charges
- Discounts at partner establishments
- Travel insurance coverage up to USD 150K (for primary cardholder)
Benefits & Advantages
The advantages that come with having an HSBC Red Mastercard Credit Card are numerous:
- Low interest rates – With the low interest rate of 2.99%, you can save money when making large purchases or carrying a balance from month to month without being charged excessive fees or penalties
- Cashback Rewards – The card offers generous cash back rewards across select spending categories like groceries, dining and entertainment etc., giving you extra value for your money spent.
- Discounts– You can enjoy discounts at partner establishments when using the card for payment.
- Travel Insurance Coverage – This feature provides peace of mind should any unexpected events happen during your travels.
- Convenience – With its contactless technology, you can make payments quickly and conveniently without having to swipe or insert your card manually into the terminal
- Security – Your transactions are protected by the latest security measures to prevent unauthorized access or fraudulent activity.
6. BPI eCredit Card
The BPI eCredit card is a cashback credit card that rewards its customers with up to 5% of their total purchases back in the form of rebates. It also offers exclusive discounts and deals from partner merchants, making it an ideal choice for those looking to maximize their savings while shopping. The card also features a low annual fee and flexible payment options, including the option to pay through installments.
The BPI eCredit card offers several benefits for its users:
- Cashback on all purchases – Up to 5% cashback on all purchases made with the card, no matter where you shop;
- Exclusive discounts & deals – Enjoy exclusive discounts and deals from partner merchants when you use your BPI eCredit Card;
- Low annual fees – No need to worry about hefty annual fees as this card has one of the lowest available in the market;
- Flexible payment options – Choose between paying the full balance at once or spspreadingut your payments over time with flexible installment plans;
- Rewards points – Earn rewards points every time you use your BPI eCredit Card which can be redeemed for various products and services;
To be eligible for a BPI eCredit Card, applicants must meet certain criteria such as age requirements. (18 years old or above), minimum monthly income (P20,000), valid government-issued ID (i.e., passport) and proof of billing address (utility bill). Additionally, applicants should have a good credit score and no recent bankruptcies or delinquent credit accounts.
7. EastWest Platinum MasterCard
The EastWest Platinum MasterCard is a credit card specifically designed for those who want to enjoy the highest level of rewards and luxury lifestyle perks. This card offers exclusive benefits, access to special events, and a variety of discounts at top merchants in the Philippines. The EastWest Platinum MasterCard also has a low annual fee and competitive interest rates on purchases and cash advances.
The EastWest Platinum MasterCard comes with several great benefits that make it an attractive choice for many consumers. These include:
- 0% installment plans on major purchases: Customers can use their EastWest Platinum Mastercard to pay for major purchases over time without paying any interest charges for up to 12 months.
- Cashback rewards program: Earn 1% cash back on all local purchases made with your card plus 2% when you shop online at select merchants in the Philippines such as Lazada, Zalora, or Amazon Prime Video. You will also receive 5X reward points when you spend at least PHP 10,000 per month with your card.
- Discounts at partner merchants: Enjoy discounts from partner merchants including hotels, restaurants, shopping malls, cinemas, spas and more when you pay with your EastWest Platinum Mastercard!
Fees & Interest Rates
The annual fee for the EastWest Platinum Mastercard is PHP 3999 while its interest rate is 3%. There are no other fees associated with this card such as balance transfer fees or late payment fees. So it’s quite affordable compared to other cards available in the market today.
8. Security Bank Next Mastercard
The Security Bank Next Mastercard is a premium credit card. That offers customers the flexibility to choose their own rewards and cashback program. This card also offers benefits such as travel insurance, purchase protection, and more. It comes with an annual fee of Php 3,000 but can be waived if a certain amount of purchases are made within a year.
Features & Benefits
This credit card provides its users with numerous features and benefits including:
- Cashback Program – Customers can get up to 5% cash back on all purchases as well as additional rewards points for every Php 25 spent at select merchants.
- Travel Insurance – Cardholders are automatically provided with complimentary travel insurance coverage upon booking tickets using this card. The coverage includes accident death benefits, medical expenses reimbursement, baggage loss/delay compensation and more up to Php 2 million per insured person per trip.
- Purchase Protection – All items purchased using this credit card are protected against accidental damage or theft for up to 90 days from the date of purchase in an amount not exceeding Php 50,000 per incident/transaction subject to policy conditions and limitations
- 24/7 Customer Service – Security Bank’s customer service team is available round-the-clock via phone or email should any issues arise concerning the use of this Mastercard.
Requirements & Fees
In order to qualify for this credit card, applicants must have a minimum annual income of Php 250,000 and must be at least 21 years old (18 years old if employed). Applicants will also need valid IDs such as passport or driver’s license along with other supporting documents like utility bills or pay slips depending on the type of employment they have. There is an annual membership fee of Php 3,000 which may be waived if customers spend over Php 200K in one year.
9. BPI Amore Cashback Card
The BPI Amore Cashback Credit Card is available to Filipino citizens. And non-Filipino citizens who are at least 21 years old. And with a minimum annual income of PHP 200,000 (or equivalent in foreign currency). Applicants must also have an existing deposit account with the Bank of the Philippine Islands.
Key Benefits and Features
The BPI Amore Cashback Credit Card offers excellent cashback rewards for everyday purchases. Cardholders can earn up to 5% cashback on dining, groceries, gas station purchases, and even online shopping. The card also comes with 0% installment plans for select merchants, exclusive access to special discounts and promotions from various partner establishments, travel insurance benefits up to PHP 1 million when using the card overseas and more!
Rates & Fees
The BPI Amore Cashback Credit Card has an annual fee of PHP 2,550 that’s waived for the first year of use. Interest charges are 3.25% monthly or 39% annually on all outstanding balances not paid in full by their due dates each month. Foreign currency transactions will be charged 3% plus an additional 2%. Late payments will incur fees ranging from PHP 500-700 depending on how late they are made while returned checks/payment orders come with a charge of PHP 350 per instance.
10. UnionBank Gold Mastercard
The UnionBank Gold Mastercard is a great option for those looking for an affordable credit card in the Philippines. It offers up to 3x rewards points on every purchase, plus access to exclusive privileges and discounts. The annual fee is waived for the first year, giving users even more incentive to sign up.
Rewards and Benefits
The UnionBank Gold Mastercard offers a range of rewarding benefits, including:
- Earn 3x rewards points on all purchases made with your card
- Enjoy exclusive discounts at restaurants and hotels when you pay with your UnionBank Gold Mastercard
- Get access to complimentary travel insurance coverage when you purchase tickets using your card
- Receive free 24/7 worldwide concierge service whenever you need assistance while traveling abroad
Fees & Charges
The UnionBank Gold MasterCard annual fee is waived for the first year and charges Php 2,500 per year thereafter. Cash advance fees are also applicable at PHP 500 or 5% of each transaction (whichever is higher). Other fees include late payment charges of PHP 700 per month and returned check penalties of PHP 500 each time. And limit fees amounting to PHP 400 per month.
11. American Express® Gold Credit Card
The American Express® Gold Credit Card is open to Philippine residents aged 18 and above with a minimum gross annual income of PHP400,000. Applicants must also have an active mobile number and email account. As well as valid IDs such as passports or driver’s licenses.
Features and Benefits
The American Express® Gold Credit Card offers its cardholders a range of features and benefits including 1 air mile for every PHP35 spent locally. 2 air miles for every USD1 spent abroad, 0% installment plan for up to 12 months. Access to over 700 lounges in 130 countries worldwide, purchase protection insurance on eligible purchases made using the card. No foreign transaction fees when traveling abroad, special discounts at partner stores and restaurants in the Philippines. Free travel accident insurance coverage up to PHP7 million, 24/7 customer service hotline assistance from anywhere in the world. Exclusive rewards programs with their partners such as airline loyalty points and hotel stays worldwide.
Fees and Charges
The annual membership fee for the American Express® Gold Credit Card is PHP6 000. (Waived if spending more than PHP400 000 yearly). The interest rate is 3.5%, which is lower than most other credit cards available in the Philippines today.
Choosing the best credit card in the Philippines can be a daunting task, especially with so many options available. In this blog post, we have discussed some of the key factors to consider when selecting a credit card. Such as credit limit and interest rates, rewards, and promotional offerings. We also looked at different types of cards available in the Philippines, including cashback cards and travel rewards cards. Finally, we provided an overview of some of the top credit cards recommended by financial experts in the Philippines.
Whichever option you choose, it’s important to do your research. And make sure you’re getting a card that meets your needs. And fits within your budget. Credit cards can provide great benefits if used responsibly. However, they can also become a source of debt if not managed properly. To make sure you get the most out of your new credit card. Use it wisely and pay off any balances on time each month. Having a credit card with careful planning and management can help improve your financial situation while providing convenience for everyday purchases.